The highest quality and least visible fence materials - create your own nearly invisible actual physical cat fence (not electric fence) to keep critters out and your pets in.
Not all fence materials of this type on the market are the same. The purpose of this page is to hopefully explain what we have to offer and what the difference is between one of our cat fences and other types of fences.
We've spent many years adjusting this cat fence system over time. These are the same fence materials that are professionally installed by fence companies, landscapers, wildlife professionals, cat rescues, organizations and more around the country. For more information on our pricing, discounts and wholesale direct sales model, please visit: wholesale
CAT FENCE KITS
Our cat fence kits are designed to be installed by homeowners and contractors alike.
Put together by standard tools, we believe we offer the highest quality, easiest to install, most effective and least visible fence materials of this type on the market.
What does that mean?
- 16ga round galvanized 1 5/8 line posts that are black gloss powder coated - strong & long lasting - (not T posts, thicker round tube than 17ga found elsewhere). Some posts on the market are not galvanized, only black coated over plain steel tube. Some cat fence systems use a much thinner 1 3/8 support post. In our experience, 1 3/8 support posts are not strong enough for a cat fence - with or without braces - especially in cold climates where snow and ice can be expected. The weight of a cat fence canopy can kink or buckle the bottom of a fence post if it's not strong enough.
- The best available poly & wire fencing (see below for details) - strong & long lasting
- Access gates 3-24 feet wide with galvanized black gloss powder coated tubing with all steel corners and fittings (not aluminum which can crack under stress)- strong & long lasting
- Many options - we offer over 1000 different cat fence kits and combinations of materials to offer you exactly what you need.
EASIEST TO INSTALL
No dig ground sleeves for line post, post brace, corner post and gate installation. This means no concrete is necessary and no digging to make installation easy. Concrete can still be used with ground sleeves if you decide you would like to. Posts lock in place with a locking set screw.
Here's an example of how our posts and ground sleeves work:
Locking set screws make fence posts permanent, movable or seasonally removable
MOST EFFECTIVE FOR CATS
- Most traditional fence leaves gaps at the bottom for cats and other animals to get through. Our cat fence kits with overlap include extra fencing to overlap onto the ground and pin to the ground so animals can't get through.
- Our poly fence is strong but flexible; cats, dogs and other animals can run into the fence full speed and bounce off without getting hurt. Poly fence also does not hold memory like steel fence does (steel once bent stays bent).
- Small opening size mesh - available in different opening sizes 1/4" - 1/2" and up to keep even the smallest animals out. This includes keeping out snakes as well.
- Can be buried in a trench - our small opening mesh is hot dip galvanized after welding then black PVC coated for long life, even with fence to soil contact.
- No-climb fence systems and fences with a top to keep in or out all animals including cats, squirrels, predator birds, coyotes & more. Great for cat rescues; these types of cat fences can be set up with no-climb hardware in both directions (keeping climbing animals both in and out). This includes keeping raccoons out that like to climb in and eat cat food.
- We do not suggest using any fence where the opening size is more than 2 inches square. Wild animals like deer and some domestic animals can get caught up in large opening size fence and will get hurt.
LEAST VISIBLE CAT FENCE
- All black posts, ground sleeves, gate hardware, post hardware and even hogring connectors - this means from as little as 20 feet away your fence will disappear. We believe we have the least visible fence system in the world with exclusive components you wont find anywhere else, parts that are unique and specific to Critterfence.
- For deer exclusion: The less visible your fence is the more effective it will be at keeping out deer. Research has shown that if deer can't judge the height of a fence (poor eyesight depth perception) they won't try and jump it. For deer you need the least visible fence that is also strong enough; if they run into it by accident they will bounce off. To have an effective deer fence or a fence that will blend in well with your landscape, you need the least visible material you can get that will do the job. This is where the term invisible deer fence comes from. The beauty of this type of material is it will disappear from a short distance away (as little as 20 feet away). This is especially important for those customers trying to preserve a nice view from their back yard or don't like the look of a tall barrier fence. This material is truly an invisible deer fence from a few feet away. It's important to note that by keeping out deer you also keep out the ticks they carry. If you are interested in building a cat fence, consider a slightly taller fence that can also keep out deer - and keep ticks off your cats.
TYPES OF FENCING MATERIAL
There are different grades of cat fencing material and accessories depending on your application. This includes all metal cat fencing. Please be sure to do your research in selecting what you need for your project.
METAL CAT FENCING
We specialize in high breaking strength, small opening size metal fencing that is galvanized after welding (or weaving) then black PVC coated. Popular sizes are 1"x1" and 2"x2". We do not recommend any fence with an opening size larger than 2" which will trap or hurt animals. We also do not promote the use of electric fence or barbed wire fence that can hurt or shock animals, changing their behavior. Please Google "how electric fence for pets effects behavior" for more information.
POLY CAT FENCING
There are many different types of poly fencing on the market. In this section, we hope to explain what we chose for our Crittefence brand poly fence and why. Poly fence may be a good option for your cat if your concerned with keeping your cat in only. Although very tough and durable, even the strongest poly fence is not chew proof.
- Poly fencing can be made of polypropylene or polyethylene with different percentages of virgin material and recycled material
- Poly fencing can be made with different amounts and types of UV inhibiting additives (this is what prevents the fencing from breaking down in sunlight)
- Poly fencing can be extruded round strand, semi-round strand, flat strand or knitted with different square shapes - some are rectangular, some are very straight and square, some are slightly twisted squares.
- Poly fencing can be made in different weights, strengths, heights and lengths. It can also be configured in different opening sizes. It can be folded or spooled full length.
- Poly fencing can have a reinforced bottom edge and/or a enhanced (thicker) top border.
- Poly fencing can have structure or be very floppy (soccer net material is polyethylene for example, if you don't pull it up it will fall down). It can be stretchy or rigid.
- Poly fencing can have one finished edge and one unfinished (cut, irregular) edge or two cut edges. This is important to not cut your dogs paws.
CRITTERFENCE POLY CAT FENCING IS:
- Made of 100% virgin polypropylene and 0% recycled polypropylene. This preserves the integrity of the entire fence mesh.
- Made with UV inhibitors with outdoor life spans of up to 15 years, 20 years and 25 years depending on the type of Critterfence poly.
- Extruded in the semi-round/round strand type. Without question this type of engineered product has a higher breaking strength per square foot. If you take two pieces of the same weight polypropylene material, this type will have a higher breaking strength per strand and also per square foot (poly fence mesh strength is measured in breaking strength per square foot). This type is also less visible than other designs. Please see notes above on why the least visible fence is important. This type also has very linear, equal sized squares that look better than other types up close.
- Made full length - We don't sell any folded product - usually our fence mesh is too thick to fold, and if it does fold it leaves impressions in the fence mesh that may not come out over time. This includes our 10 foot and 15 foot fence rolls that both ship full length (by truck carrier).
- Made in different breaking strengths from 650 pounds of breaking strength per square foot up to 1400 pounds or more. Typically, fence mesh with less than this amount of strength can be broken by hand (if you pull on it with two hands it will break). This strength fence material is not suitable for to keep cats in or to keep out animals.
- We offer the reinforced bottom fence mesh but do not offer or suggest using an enhanced top border. The top border is often used in polyethylene fence which has to be pulled tight to be held up. A very visible top border is not suggested for keeping wildlife out, please see LEAST VISIBLE notes above
- Made with structure - Our Critterfence fence mesh does nearly stand up on it's own. It requires fence posts and support, but compared to other poly fence types it's rigid. It also stretches less than other types.
- Made with one finished edge and one cut edge. This is important when working with the fence material - cut edges can hurt hands (and also animals). Typically customers install the finished edge on top with the cut unfinished edge on the bottom. Note: our reinforced bottom fence mesh types is semi-finished on the bottom (may have some irregularities and burrs but in general this type of fence roll has two finished edges one top and one reinforced bottom)
PHOTOS OF OUR POPULAR FENCE TYPES AT DIFFERENT DISTANCES
Please click here to compare and shop these fence rolls: METAL CAT FENCE ROLLS
Please click here to compare and shop these fence rolls: POLY CAT FENCING ROLLS
ENTIRE FENCE SYSTEM EXAMPLE
CLICK HERE TO START YOUR SEARCH FOR CAT FENCE KITS WITH POSTS